website statistics

My MAGIC Video Links

Links of the Week

  • WEEKLY HORRORSCOPE
  • WEEKLY MANGA
  • The Best Filipino Magicians

    Search For Other Great Magicians Here

    Google
  • Mga of the Week : August 10, 2010
  • Vocabulary :
  • subterfuge - something intended to misrepresent the true nature of an activity.
  • Quote :
  • Some people never grow old enough to be mature.
  • Friday, November 11, 2005

    MAGIC - A PERCEIVED REALITY

    The magic bug bit me when I was about seven years old. My Uncleonce showedme a card trick that blew me. I haven't got any idea how he did it. He didn't even cared to tell me even with my constant prodding. Since then, everytime I here that there will be a carnival show in our town, I get excited, hoping to see some magic. It is only in these events that I can see tricks which even if repeated several times, I wouldn't get bored. Magicians are very scarce before, at least for me, who was living in a small town in a far-flung province of Negros Oriental.

    I got a tast of how to perform one trick, when my uncle showed me how he did the trick that opened me up. I was already fourteen. Since then, I tried to hold on to that very simple secret. Everytime I can see magic shows, be it in TV or live, I make it a point to ponder and disect what had happened. At times, it all seemed so easy, but when I try doing it, it just didn't fit. In short, I can't get it running.

    College days come and go but my magic seemed to be stagnant. I got a few tricks that I discovered but were very simple, a little focus on handling would reveal a method. In TV, Doug Henning filled my heart everytime his show is on air, it doesn't matter if the episodes were rerun and re-issued season after season. Then David Copperfield came. His grand illusions which include vanishing of aircrafts, the statue of Liberty, to name a few, trickled me including my sad bones.

    I crave for performance. I was torn between what is real magic and what is not. In the nineties, David Blaine and his magic in your nose, hit the streets. I haven't heard of him until my brother showed me a video. It rekindled my interest in magic. I began to search for books and information which can guide me towards at least knowing the secrets behind. I was not able to find one. Then the internet wave pushed me towards the sea of information. I begin to gather some facts and theories about my faded hobby.

    I somehow learned that magic is an art of entertaining wherein natural laws of nature are seemed to be violated and defied. Perception of how things are done is the essence of magic. I am now in the process of learning the theories and history of some magic acts. I am grateful for the internet. It is where I get my stuff, free at times but the best ones are acquired through some cost. I also had the oppurtunity to chat with the best in the business. I met talented Filipino magicians in the likes of Rannie Raymundo, Chubby Flores, Lou Hilario, Doc Ronnie Moraleta, Leo Domapias and Ruther Urquia. I am especially thankful for Chubby. He is guiding me in my quest for magic knowledge. He is a very good friend and a humble one. I'll be eternally thankful for him. Thanks Chub.

    Today, another special featuring a Filipino magician, Erik Mana, in a two episode magic special "Mastermind", to be shown in ABS-CBN at 10:30 PM. The other episode will be on Nov. 18, 2005.

    What I learned in the few months that I reassembled my long lost hobby is still far from what is to be studied. I will continue to pursue this hobby. It will be known later if I am going to perform in public or not but as of the moment I am in content of showing it to my friends. My relatives will have a good look at it when I go home this Christmas. I have shown them some before but I have since acquired other more interesting things to show them, just for entertainment.

    It will be a struggle between reality and what they will see.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home