website statistics

My MAGIC Video Links

Links of the Week

  • WEEKLY HORRORSCOPE
  • WEEKLY MANGA
  • The Best Filipino Magicians

    Search For Other Great Magicians Here

    Google
  • Mga of the Week : August 10, 2010
  • Vocabulary :
  • subterfuge - something intended to misrepresent the true nature of an activity.
  • Quote :
  • Some people never grow old enough to be mature.
  • Wednesday, January 18, 2006

    EVAT Experience

    EVAT or RVAT has been implemented across the archipelago. It is almost always the reason for the price increase of basic commodities. Even the price increase of certain products which are subjected to VAT before is correlated to EVAT.

    But some Filipinos found a way to further push this negative impact of EVAT.

    I had a dinner last Sunday with my wife in a mall. I noticed an increase in the price of the food to be higher, so I teasingly ask the sales lady why, she said, "Naa nay VAT Sir." I expected this answer since almost all my askings regarding increase in fare or price, EVAT always comes as the runaway winner as the most voiced out reason.

    We proceeded to our table and started eating. As I always do, I scanned the receipt and found out something. - On top of the total price is an additional 10% VAT!.

    I was hit twice! by the same EVAT. I now translate EVAT as Extra VAT.

    And again, just this afternoon, I experienced the same in another establishment...

    Well, this may be it... Unscrupulous people seem to have found something good out of EVAT but on the expense of the others.

    So, is EVAT good for us? Ask a customer and you'll get an answer, ask a businessman and you'll get an answer. But these answers are almost on the opposite sides of the coin.

    This is plain REALITY. Politicians and economists may snub this things and consumers may accept these as it is because it is the law, but the REALITY remains that because of these things, the Philippines can't seem to take off.

    I hope I'm wrong, dead wrong...

    Whatdyathink?

    1 Comments:

    At 8:45 PM, Blogger Bas Navarro said...

    It's already legal for establishments to "adjust" their prices to reflect the new VAT law. This passing of the VAT to consumers was previously disallowed in deliberations in Congress when the law was created but was ultimately dismissed primarily by Sen. Recto...his reason is that the concept and principle of VAT as it was copied from Europe presupposes that it will eventually be passed on to consumers. So there. Pity the consumers, very lucky the businessmen (but they are just the "middlemen" of government), but the luckiest are the corrupt officials in government who dips into the country's coffers, VAT or no VAT.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home